[ontolog-forum] RDF theory vs. practice

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: KR-language <kr-language@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Richard H. McCullough" <rhmccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 00:10:50 -0700
This is the tail-end of a dialog between  Pat Hayes and me.
I think it may interest members of Ontolog Forum.

Dick McCullough
Context Knowledge Systems
mKR/mKE tutorial

From: rhmccullough@xxxxxxxxx
To: phayes@xxxxxxx
Subject: RE: reset: RDF semantics
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2014 22:06:47 -0700

I completely agree with you, Pat.

As I mentioned in one of my other emails, I tried very hard to maintain
that the element and the set should  be distinguished.
I referred to element as a unit, or an individual.
I referred to the set as a concept or a Class.
But EVERYONE I came in contact with [before Ontolog Forum],
all the people actually using RDF, insisted that they were the same.

That is even the position of Adam Pease, who got very upset when
mKE/mKR told him he had errors in the SUMO knowledge base --
saying that a particular Name was an individual and a Class.
He insisted that his reasoning program [I can't remember the name]
verified that there were no errors.

It is legitimate to have the same Name
represent a unit in one context,
and a concept in another context.
Unfortunately, people want to "take the easy way out":
ignore the context and pretend everything is a concept.

Dick McCullough
Context Knowledge Systems
mKE and the mKR language
mKR/mKE tutorial