Re: [ontolog-forum] Beauty in mathematics -- detected in brain scans

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 16:16:08 -0800

It seems this shows that different places in the brain are activated for perceived beauty and ugliness.  Thats not too surprising, is it?  Every time weve isolated one experience class in the brain from another experience class, by definition, it has to be something we can detect in our toolkit for viewing the brain, e.g., fMRI

fMRI and magnetic stuff can distinguish among pretty small brain areas, growing smaller as technology improves.  That is the way mechanical structure software evolved also, as speed and memory improved historically Ultimately we should be able to simulate the brain to some feeble degree, after which we may learn something and iterate the improvements

Use data mining to aggregate the evidence and learn the spectrum of projections, decompositions, and alternatives.  It should work, unless Ive missed something in that chain of reasoning.

By the way, Eulers identity is new to me, many thanks.  That old geezer was up to a lot in his leisure time, but that equation is truly beautiful:

    e^iπ + 1 = 0

and since π is defined as the circumference over the diameter:

e^(i*π) + 1 = 0

e^(i*(Circumference/Diameter)) + 1 = 0

e^(i*(Circumference/Diameter))  = -1

i*(Circumference/Diameter)  = ln(-1)

Whoops!  Ln(-1) is awkward.  I suppose extending the curve for ln(x) to the x axis (verboten!) could lead you to hypothesize that ln(-1) = - infinity, but that would be intuitive, and would ruin the next step.

i = (ln(-1)*Diameter)/Circumference

that is of the form

i = a/π

which is truly weird, whatever you use for a.

But there should be an informative picture of the unit circle in complex arithmetic somewhere on the web.

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper

EnglishLogicKernel.com