Re: [ontolog-forum] Person, Boy, Man

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: William Frank <williamf.frank@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 17:44:31 -0500
I agree completely with you, Hans.

In addition, I find that many people equate "language" with 'English".   It seems to me that this is happening here.  For, there are languages in which 'boy' would be expressed as 'human male young' , and 'man' as 'human male adult' others in which one would say 'man child', etc. etc.

Next, identifying the atomic elements of meaning in a language is a pursuit akin to identifying theoretical, unseeable elements of the physical universe, like quarks and strings.   Ontologists who construct such ontologies are playing 'god' no more than physicists are.

Finally, as a software designer, like may others before me for the last 25 years, the hierarchies of subtypes as suggested here have proved very awkward to use and very brittle, while defining complex things like 'sushi bonds' as a *composition*, rather than as a deep subtype, has proved useful for specifying behaviors, extensible, and more akin to the intuitions and creative process of securities inventors.

Wm

Wm