[ontolog-forum] IBM's Watson slow to convert knowledge into dollars and

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2014 12:54:42 -0800

From a FierceIT newsletter, within Fair Use Doctrine:

"At the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, for instance, a project centered on improving leukemia treatment through medical literature mining was described as being "in a ditch" early last year by one IBM executive. According to WSJ, doctors at the Houston-based facility and IBM engineers did not understand each other's needs, and initially only collaborated in person sporadically."

I can’t send more, but you can subscribe to their enewsletters (they have a lot of them; choose a few) to get the whole magilla.

The point I see is that the prediction of 1980’s by Randy Jensen is asserting itself.  Physicians, computer scientists and engineers don’t intercommunicate particularly well.  Even the vocabularies they use differ dramatically due to their distinct contexts of use.

So even defining the requirements for ontology based software products will be new to all participants, and therefore full of risks.  It would be useful for this forum to have those kinds of feedback, so if you see relevant info, please post it for the rest of us.

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper

EnglishLogicKernel.com