Re: [ontolog-forum] Axioms and definitions

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Alex Shkotin <alex.shkotin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 17:20:52 +0400
Pat,

sometimes it's useful to build axiomatic theory of application area (3D-shapes in space logic in your case?).
We need to get primary ("primitive") set of terms and write axioms of application area.
Definition is a way to introduce new "secondary" term in such a way that it may be eliminated from the formulas.
In your case if "part" is primary and properPart is secondary then D8 is a definition. But if "properPart" is primary too then D8 is an axiom.

Alex