Re: [ontolog-forum] Representing design

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John Bottoms <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 14:24:42 -0400
re: Representing Design...Using Reusable/Reproducible Research

Ciao Vostro,

I regret not being able to respond to your query earlier, I was working on a project. I have also been looking into research and design methodologies. I was a student of the late Italian designer Aldo Giorgini. I believe design and research share a number of components and both are intricate fields. Along these lines I have been looking into a recent development in this area, RR.

I think there are things in RR (Reusable Research) that could be interesting and useful. The discipline is still in its infancy but there are 1st generation systems in use. The concepts have been discussed for decades and some of the concerns have been addressed and implemented in existing tools.

"The RR goal is to make analytic data and code available so other may reproduce findings."

Basically the issue addressed is "How to write a research article for publication in such a way that it permits re-implementation of the original experiment(s)". Underlying this is the concern that as technology moves forward computers are inevitably involved. This means that the code, the machine running the code and the data form the foundation for a given research finding.

RR seeks to create systems in which the experiment components can be shared with the community. The completed published article contains all the ingredients to reproduce the research. This means having a document that includes 1.) narrative, 2) program code and data and 3) the meanings of the processing performed by the program.

In essence, all of these can be captured in a hypertext document. The current systems of XML/HTML do a fairly good job but there are some concerns going forward. Among these are extensibility, formats for multimedia and marking and security of components of parts of the document. The security issues are of concern to those of closed user groups with intellectual property or national secrets at risk.

The U.S. National Library of Medicine, NIH has published a paper on their work at this URL.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17911732

There are also sociological concerns about adoption of RR for larger communities. Jelena Kova�cevi´c's article "HOWTO ENCOURAGE AND PUBLISH REPRODUCIBLE RESEARCH" sheds some light on this issue.
http://jelena.ece.cmu.edu/repository/conferences/07_04_Icassp_Kovacevic.pdf

I ran into the RR field in association with biostatistics (one of the 'omics fields, such as "genomics") through the work done by Roger Peng at Johns Hopkins. His excellent paper can be found at AAAS free if you register on the website. A short article by him is at:
http://biostatistics.oxfordjournals.org/content/10/3/405.full.pdf+html

In the field of statistics, "Sweave" is the main tool for RR. Sweave uses LaTeX for graphics which makes it nice for writing equations. The website for Sweave is:
http://leisch.userweb.mwn.de/Sweave/#Sweave

I think we are looking forward to a more robust grammar for RR that can build on existing approaches. I am working on an article in this area but it will take me a couple of months to get it completed. There clearly needs to be an grammar or ontology for RR documents and IP.

I hope this helps.

-John Bottoms
 FirstStar Systems
 Concord, MA USA