Re: [ontolog-forum] Context and Inter-annotator agreement

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Michael Brunnbauer <brunni@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2013 12:02:54 +0200

Hello Patrick,    (01)

On Thu, Aug 01, 2013 at 02:21:45PM -0400, Patrick Cassidy wrote:
> [JFS] . Fundamental principle:  People think in *words*, not in *word senses*.
>    * Really?  I sure don???t.  Without the textual content to disambiguate
>words, communication would be extremely error-prone.   Where does that notion
>come from?    (02)

I am currently reading the Novel "Embassytown" about an alien race that
communicates sense directly. They have a language but it is superfluous.    (03)

Those poor things can only communicate "real world" sense. Lies, metaphor
and "deeper" thinking are beyond them. The author sees the loose coupling
between word and sense as the fundamental feature of language.    (04)

When you put words together, you often create completely new senses that
cannot be grasped by looking at indidual word senses only.    (05)

Regards,    (06)

Michael Brunnbauer    (07)

--
++  Michael Brunnbauer