Re: [ontolog-forum] Dennett on the Darwinism of Memes

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: System Administrator <maxwellrgillmore@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 21:31:06 +1000
The definitions were taken from the Concise Oxford English Dictionary which I regard as adequate for my purpose  (in the time taken to respond, I did not have access to the full or shorter editions)

returning to the topic

I do not and would not argue that science disproves the existence of a god.  Indeed the persistent claims of the existence of a god are generally unfalsifiable, so the exercise would be futile.

I think the reality is that any damage done to god by Science is incidental to the search for explanations of nature. ( A glacier does not exist to carve valleys out of mountains, but that is a very clear effect.)

On the topic of memes, I am extremely interested in instinctive behaviour.  It appears that the primal suckling instinct in mammals is hard wired into the newborn.  Its absence would be genetically fatal, so it is easy to see how Darwinian Selection would favour that behaviour.

There are, however, other behaviors that seem to be innate but could be learned.  It is likely that the impulse to emulate other animals behaviour is "hard wired"  and this leads an action like herding.  The question is whether there is a link with prior learning (in previous generations) which might point to some degree of Lamarckian genetics.  The question seems to me to be whether this is randomly occurring hard-wired behavior that has been selected (a clear possibility),  or is there a mechanism analogous to artificial intelligence (AI) in software development.  AI points to a possible mechanism whereby learning could become hardwired into brain function.  To me this is fascinating. and a meme might explain that mechanism.  In short I think that memes are a genuine attempt to develop an explanation for instinctive behaviour.

Alternatively it may simply point to the efficiency of the interaction of genetic variability and natural selection.