[ontolog-forum] Towards a Goal Ontology

To: <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: jmcclure@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 12:06:30 -0700

John Bottoms wrote: "Humans are resource-centric systems and as such we pay attention to potential opportunities. How do we represent that in KR?"

John B identifies a truly intriguing question:

  If identifying "goals" of a system is as fundamental as identifying the users of a system, then the attainment of these goals is the proper "meta-goal" of every semantic system. Should not every semantic system identify the goals of the creators & users of the system, using this info to modify/refine its operation?

or some such, but you get the idea (an if-then!)

So my view of the world is that all concepts are adroitly classifiable into the 6W's (who, what, when, where, why, which) and the 2H's (how, how much). Each of these can be considered abbreviations for Who Information, What Information, etc. And each is characteristic of every "story" or "article" in a wiki, truly of every resource that can be identified within an RDF stream.

Meaning that a "goal" is easily seen to be a Why, answering the question "why" such & so action is will/is/was/would be performed. It is a Why attached to a person, organization that can be cited as explanatory for, and motivating towards, a particular action. The class "Goal" is essentially an instance of the Why metaclass.