Re: [ontolog-forum] Realist Ontology in Mainstream Media

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ali SH <asaegyn+out@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 22:59:23 -0600
Hi Kingsley,

You make some sweeping claims here...

On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 7:20 PM, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Yes, and the tragedy of Siri is that lightweight semantics applied to unstructured data runs rings around it, as demonstrated by Google.

Look, if the Siri folks (many who actually know better) had implemented this solution with a little more selflessness they would be running rings around Google today. You wouldn't have Google making a mockery of Siri on its own home turf.

Might you please qualify this? It seems to me that Siri (at least the pre-Apple version), was actually doing a lot of what the Semantic Web still aspires... That they didn't expose their own methods via open standards, is a business decision, but i don't think that's their "downfall" (if we can even call it that). It is true that Apple to a large extent lobotomized Siri, but I can't make head or tails of your claims.

In what ways is Google making a "mockery" of Siri? Is it doing so using SW standards? Do they expose their own core data in an open way (in this context)?

Is there a single SemWeb or LOD project that comes close to even a fraction of Siri's functionality? C.f:

===
If Apple and Google make their virtual assistants really work, that could be replaced by a much more centralized approach. Want something? Ask Siri or turn to Google Now and they’ll do the work of dealing with all those Web pages and apps for you.

It’s already possible to see how that could make things easier for people, and also remove the need for them to install or really be aware of apps as they are today. Many people with iPhones make use of Wolfram Alpha without ever installing it, for example, because it is drawn on by Siri. Likewise, you can find and book a restaurant with Siri without having installed Yelp or any of its competitors. Google Now helps a person track sports scores, and deal with flight boarding passes without their turning directly to ESPN or United’s own mobile services.
===