Re: [ontolog-forum] Preferred Ontology Engineering Methodology?

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: ravi sharma <drravisharma@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 11:41:36 -0500
Agree
Thanks.
Ravi

On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 10:16 AM, Sjir Nijssen <Sjir.Nijssen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

To all,

I find it amazing how  at this stage in the development of “ontology”, one can describe a protocol how to develop such an ill defined artefact as ontology.

Leo Obrst has proposed to this forum to introduce the concept of a spectrum with several different concepts of ontology, each  with its specific distinguishing name and characteristics.

I would recommend to  this forum to spend time on operationalizing Leo’s idea. Thereafter (having the structure) and not before, the work on a protocol (process, methodology) can start.

Other people would say that as long as a concept is a homonym, it is nearly impossible to communicate usefully  about it.

In the world of software and conceptual databases the development of methodologies has been going on for two decades, the seventies and the eighties. It seems that for most ontologists history began thereafter.

If one or more points on the “ontology” spectrum have to become mainstream, I would recommend not to let the ontology homonym era last too long.

Kind regards

Sjir Nijssen

Chief Technical Officer

PNA Group