Re: [ontolog-forum] Big Data Buzzwords From A to Z

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2012 17:21:31 -0500
On 12/2/12 4:58 PM, Obrst, Leo J. wrote:
> Kingsley, I agree. Implicit semantics in procedural code and structural data
>models just don't get us where we need to go. Humans simply cannot do all the
>semantic interpretation, or you never break out of this bottleneck. Machines
>have to lend a hand, by doing some explicit semantic interpretation. Machine
>understanding? No. Don't go down  that rabbit hole.
>
> Thanks,
> Leo    (01)

Yep!    (02)

Today's "Big Data" meme is just the latest in a series of buzzwords (and
phrases) that just dance around the fact that entity relationship model
semantics can exists in self-describing structured data. Arguments about
formats are an eternal distraction that play into the hands of
marketeers that fall into two categories:    (03)

1. understand the problem but muddy the waters for competitive reasons
2. are clueless about the matter and muddy the waters inadvertently.    (04)

As clearly articulated by Peter Chen [1] circa. 1976. An entity
relationship model can be used to construct a unified view of disparate
shaped data. Similar clarity comes from John in his work relating to
conceptual graphs and the use of Logic as the conceptual schema for
driving data integration via semantics [2].    (05)

Where it all gets into trouble is when a single entity makes a
power-grab for all things relating to semantics, which is where RDF
drove itself into a horrible ditch, first time around. Of course, this
wasn't the fault of those who now much better (e.g., Pat Hayes and a few
others that worked on RDF), the problem arose from those who (for the
most part) discovered these concepts via RDF and failed to understand
that RDF was a tweak of what already existed, as is always the case in
an innovation continuum. The problem then got compounded when the Linked
Data meme took off.    (06)

Links:    (07)

1. http://slidesha.re/SbfHQG -- Integrating Semantic Systems (John Sowa)
2. http://bit.ly/YTdz3N -- Entity Relationship Model: Unified View of
Data (Peter Chen).
3. http://slidesha.re/UGg18k -- connecting Big Data, Linked Data, RDF,
and the Semantic Web vision (my attempt to connect these artificially
disconnected dots).    (08)

Kingsley

--     (010)

Regards,    (011)