[ontolog-forum] Big Data Buzzwords From A to Z

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2012 23:11:37 -0500
I came across some slides with "Big Data Buzzwords From A to Z".
So I browsed through them to see what terms the author (and his
associates) consider important.  See below for the list of terms
and the URL of the slides.    (01)

The words 'logic' and 'ontology' are not on their list.  Tools
developed and supported by the Apache Foundation are very well
represented.  The word for X is 'XML'.  But none of the slides
mention the Semantic Web or any of its notations and tools.    (02)

John
____________________________________________________________________    (03)

Big Data Buzzwords From A to Z    (04)

by Rick Whiting    (05)

Big data is one of the, well, biggest trends in IT today, and it has
spawned a whole new generation of technology to handle it. And, with
new technologies come new buzzwords: acronyms, technical terms, product
names, etc.    (06)

Even the phrase "big data" itself can be confusing. Many think of
"lots of data" when they hear it, but big data is much more than just
data volume.    (07)

Here, in alphabetical order, are some of the buzzwords we think you
need to be familiar with.    (08)

ACID, Atomicity, Consistency, Isolation and Durability.
Big data.
Columnar (or Column-Oriented) Database.
Data Warehousing.
Extract, transform and load (ETL).
Flume, a technology in the Apache Hadoop family.
Geospatial Analysis.
Hadoop.
In-Memory Database.
Java.
Kafka, a high-throughput, distributed messaging system.
Latency.
Map/reduce.
NoSQL Databases.
Oozie, an open-source workflow engine.
Pig, a platform for analyzing huge data sets.
Quantitative Data Analysis.
Relational Database.
Sharding, a form of database partitioning.
Text Analytics.
Unstructured Data.
Visualization.
Whirr, libraries for running big data cloud services.
XML.
Yottabyte.
ZooKeeper, manage and coordinate Hadoop nodes.    (09)

http://www.crn.com/slide-shows/data-center/240142568/big-data-buzzwords-from-a-to-z.htm    (010)