Re: [ontolog-forum] doing standards [was - Re: Webby objects]

To: doug@xxxxxxxxxx, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Amanda Vizedom <amanda.vizedom@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 17:39:03 -0500
Yep. I have seen the same thing elsewhere, as well; even though ontologists *know* that the concept names (vs. labels) are meaningless to the machine, the ontologists are still human language users and slip into various errors such as expecting names to carry a content burden and fighting over names.  I have also experienced the significant gains in usability and efficiency that can come from using concept IDs that are not easily interpreted by humans (e.g., hexadecimals at Convera). IMHO, that is the way to go -- it's amazing how much confusion is avoided when names are obviously there as unique handles but carry no meaning, and N-N mapping between NL terms and ontology terms is practiced and supported.

Best,
Amanda

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 5:22 PM, doug foxvog <doug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, November 22, 2012 16:59, Obrst, Leo J. wrote:
> Sure, Amanda, and that's why I (and we) advocate using natural
> language vocabularies that are linked/mapped to ontologies.

If you are referring to advocating the separation of NL vocabularies from
ontology term names, we certainly agree.  The ontology needs to express
an N-N mapping between NL terms and ontology terms.

> This was a hard lesson
> learned  (initially, by others, before my time) in the DoD in the early
> 1990s, and that I personally experienced in the metadata wars of the
> 2000s, where people will fight to the death to include their "words",
> mistaking these for the concepts behind them.*

This was a fight that the Cyc project thought it had solved in the
early '90s by establishing the 2-way mappings between NL & ontology
terms.  However, as Amanda well remembers, as new people came into
Cycorp, there were continual fights over what a term in the ontology
means -- and what it *should* mean, even when each of the competing
meanings were worthwhile concepts to have in the ontology.  This has
obviously continued after we both left.  You can find lots of terms in
OpenCyc whose names could be interpreted in multiple ways, yet whose
#$comments do little more than restate the name.  Often, the statements
remaining about the concepts in OpenCyc are not sufficient to understand
the intended meaning of the term.

> The important point is
> that if you shoehorn peoples'  semantics into "common" vocabularies
> or ontologies (and it's worse  for the  latter, because then you
> obliterate their differentiating semantics, not just how they refer to
> things), they may say they will agree with that concensus, but they will
> drag their feet, and the "information-sharing"  effort will fail.

Many ontologies (e.g., the OBO ontologies) get around this by using
numeric strings as IDs of the ontology terms, forcing people to look
at various comments and alternate names to understand what is
intended.

Also, +1 to Amanda's points, below.

-- doug foxvog