Re: [ontolog-forum] Binary versus N-ary relations

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 14:40:34 -0400
>> > A property measurement example has two angles:    (01)

>> It appears that you are referring to a measurement series.  "A" (single)
>> "measurement" sounds like an individual data point, to me.    (02)

> [AvR] I refer a to continuous measurement over a period in time. This is
> an illustration of a property, such as a temperature T or
> speed, that is a phenomenon that lasts continuously over a period of time.    (03)

This is a useful concept.  IMHO, it would be useful to distinguish it from
a single
measurement.  Would the tern "measurement series" seem reasonable?    (04)

> Such a property    (05)

If referring to a property value over a period of time, instead of a
series of
measurements over time, a generic term such as "temporally varying property"
might be useful.    (06)

> can be quantified on a scale by relating
> it e.g. to a mathematical function, such as T = f(a.t+b), for t1 < t < t2
> (with t=time) for a linear increasing temperature, or it
> can be quantified at various moments in time by multiple relations with
> discrete values on a scale. However, e.g. temperature is not
> discrete in itself. The various relations between T and the discrete
> values do not mean that there are several temperatures. It is
> one temperature (over time) that has several quantification relations with
> discrete numbers.    (07)

I suggest that distinguishing a "temperature" (single value) from a
"temperature
series over time", and both from a "temporally varying temperature" would be
useful.  Relations could inter-relate the concepts.    (08)

>> > The measurement process, in which various things are involved over
>> > time in different roles    (09)

>> > And the results of the measurements as follows:    (010)

>> > Object A <has property> T    (011)

>> > T <is classified as a> temperature    (012)

>> >From the below, it appears that T is an instance of a
>> time-vs-temperature-of-object graph.
>> A more semantic name than "T" would be
>> "TimeTemperatureGraphOfObjectA".    (013)

> [AvR] No, T is the temperature itself. A graph might be a graphical
> representation of that temperature, but my expressions do not
> describe a graph.    (014)

I wrote carelessly.  You are referring to a time versus temperature function,
which can be depicted in a graph, not to the graph itself.    (015)

The word "temperature" usually refers to a quantity (or quantity range)
or to the relation between a physical object and such a quantity.  You
are using the word to refer to neither the quantity, nor the relation, but
to state of affairs of an object having a temperature over time.    (016)

Using the same word for this additional meaning can be confusing.  I'd
suggest a different term, such as "temperature over time" or
"time-temperature function".  Then    (017)

... the results of the measurements would be:    (018)

Object A <has property> TimeTemperatureFunctionOfObjectA    (019)

TimeTemperatureFunctionOfObjectA <is classified as a> temperatureOverTime    (020)

>> > When the value of T varies over time we can create a sequence of
>> > relations between T and numeric values on a scale, such as:
>>
>> > T <has a value lower than> 50 C on t1
>>
>> > T <has a value equal to> 50 C on t2
>>
>> > T <has a value equal to> 51 C on t3
>>
>> > Etc.
>>
>> > Without the need to respecify the object A and the classification of
>> > T.    (021)

>> Since ObjectAsTimeTemperatureGraph is an object that has
>> one functional property that relates it to Object A and another
>> functional property that relates it to a specific temperature at
>> some defined times (and to no temperature at other times).    (022)

> [AvR] No. It is since a temperature    (023)

A "temperatureOverTime"    (024)

> is not a discrete property that allows for one value only,
> but it is a property that is
> continuous over time and can be related with many numeric values at
> different moments in time.
> A temperature is in fact a property that is also continuous in the space
> of the object that has the temperature and can be related
> to various numeric values that are valid at various positions in space and
> time!    (025)

This is true for a "temperatureOverTime".  Redefining the word "temperature"
to have this new meaning is confusing.    (026)

I am simply urging that the two distinct concepts be maintained and that
their
definitions be made clear.  I have no complaint with the model, just the
reuse
of term with re-defined meanings.    (027)

-- doug foxvog    (028)