Re: [ontolog-forum] Universal Basic Semantic Structures

To: <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Hans Polzer" <hpolzer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 15:52:50 -0400
Thanks, Doug. That's certainly a more interesting (and plausible)
explanation of what happened than what I had read. But I wasn't "blaming the
computer" in citing this example. I was simply pointing out that who
owns/operates a building is rarely detectable/determinable from its physical
characteristics, elint emissions notwithstanding. While some physical
characteristics might be clues from which one can inference purpose or
ownership, doing so remains a probabilistic exercise. Actual ownership is
typically captured and represented on paper or in cyberspace. And the
targeting database was not the authoritative source for this type of
information in this example (it would be a surprise if it were!). The
question then becomes how current and comprehensive  (and correct) the
coupling of the targeting data base to the authoritative source was. As one
might suspect, it's more likely to be current and accurate for "high value"
or "high interest" geospatial entities, since it takes significant resources
to maintain such coupling with uncooperative or less accessible
authoritative sources, as I am sure the CIA would attest. Of course, the
world of covert operations further complicates the issue of determining what
the true reality is/was.    (01)

Hans    (02)