Re: [ontolog-forum] Accommodating legacy software

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Gian Piero Zarri <gian_piero.zarri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: William Frank <williamf.frank@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 15:50:16 -0400
GPZ:

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 1:42 PM, Gian Piero Zarri <zarri@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On 11/09/2012 16:27, doug foxvog wrote:
>>> In g, George played the role of giver, the book played the role of
>>> given, and Mary played the role of reciever.
>>>

>> BENF = BEN(e)F(iciary) role. Why always reinvent the wheel?
> Of course, NKRL was re-inventing the wheel, as such generic slots (and
> more specific ones) were in use before NKRL was invented in the mid 1990s.

[GPZ] You have missed my argument. My remark about "reinventing the
wheel" was about the fact of discovering, in September 2012, that
"George gave a book to Mary" can be conveniently expressed by using "roles".

I am puzzled by this as an 'argument'.  It is possible that some followers of this forum might be learning about roles and their role as the name for differentiating the way in which different things participate in a relationships.  This is a discovery for them, if so.  I just can't imagine though that any follower of the forum would think that it was being discovered by modern civilization for the first time in these mails. Some might be interested in the history, to varying degrees, some might not.

For me, it was an excellent 'discovery' in 1968, based on a work written in 1964, and I was even more delighted to find how well Rebecca Wirfs-Brok and Trigve Regenskaug applied the concept to software design, with predicessors in the 1960s at MIT.  And, today, I am delighted to have discovered, thanks to John Sowa, that Chomsky was wallowing in the shallows of syntactical transformational grammar at this time of incredible creativity in semantics.

Regards,

Wm

Regards,

G.P. Zarri