Re: [ontolog-forum] Accommodating legacy software

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 22:35:05 -0400
David and Paul,    (01)

DE
> I have been told to my face by <redacted> there is nothing for legacy
> systems in "the stack."    (02)

That's why mainstream IT ignores the SW.    (03)

PT
> I guess that bit of intelligence hasn't reached those who are busy
> putting semantic facades on all sorts of old data: OpenLink URIBurner,
> apache any23, W3C RDB2RDF, etc.    (04)

Tim B-L's proposal from 2000 went far beyond that.  RDB2RDF does not
support interoperability -- it is designed to copy RDBs into RDF
and run everything from a triple store.  Interoperable systems
must be able to interoperate dynamically.    (05)

PT
> Sure, a facade is different from a purpose-built semantic system, but
> those will come later, just as true web applications followed early
> screen-scraping HTML pages.    (06)

With true semantic interoperability, you don't put facades on data.
The data formats and they way they're stored are totally irrelevant.
Data from any source, stored in any format whatever, should be usable
according to its semantics, not its syntax.    (07)