Re: [ontolog-forum] Content Centric Networking

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ed Barkmeyer <edbark@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 16:30:41 -0400

Juan de Nadie wrote:
> Hi.
> Today I saw some articles concerning this subject. I wonder what are
> the implications of this view in our research subjects (ontologies,
> semantic web, etc). How this view changes our views about the semantic
> web and the use of ontologies?
>

>http://www.xconomy.com/san-francisco/2012/08/07/the-next-internet-inside-parcs-vision-of-content-centric-networking/?single_page=true
>

> http://www.parc.com/services/focus-area/content-centric-networking/
>
> Best regards.    (01)

If I understand the PARC writeup correctly, this is an implementation
trick.  The idea is that when you fetch a 'web page' that is a 5MB
document, something like 1000 packets transit the internet to deliver
that document to you.  Your browser may "cache" the whole document under
the id URI xxxxx and if you subsequently click on a link to URI xxxxx,
it won't bother to get it over the Internet, it will just display it
from its cache.  Now, if each of those thousand packets actually says:
I am packet #nnn from URI xxxxx, then the servers along the route can do
the same thing -- cache the packet under its name.  If 50 people on your
ISP ask for the same document as URI xxxxx, and the server has cached
all of the packets, it can just send those packets to all the
requestors.  And even if it only has a subset of them, it can send the
first request to the server that actually has the document and cache the
missing packets as they arrive.  Yes, you get 50 copies of 1000 packets
on the server's lines, but you don't busy the rest of the Internet
intermediaries who would otherwise be involved in moving those 50,000
packets.  That is the potential value.  There are some security issues
involved -- the server that owns URI xxxxx may not be willing to send
the document to arbitrary clients, and in that case, the relay servers
need to know that they can't cache it, or they might have to do some
authorization dance with the primary server.    (02)

But the net effect is that this is a behind-the-scenes protocol for
minimizing the communication loads on Internet components, while
creating the burden of caching on cooperating servers.  It has nothing
whatsoever to do with the nature of the cached information; it is just
about labeling the standard transmission blocks of arbitrary named bit
streams.  Its impact on things like "Big Data" is just performance.  It
works the same for downloading one of the Stanford biomedical ontologies
and for downloading the latest episode of Wipeout.  I don't see any
direct relationship to knowledge engineering.    (03)

-Ed    (04)

Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8263                Cel: +1 240-672-5800    (05)

 and have not been reviewed by any Government authority."    (06)