Re: [ontolog-forum] The concepts can change?

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 14:25:57 -0400
On 7/17/12 11:10 AM, John F Sowa wrote:
> On 7/17/2012 10:34 AM, Gary Berg-Cross wrote:
>> One small connection I would note to this discussion is that you could
>> use Ogden & Richard's triangle to meaning/semantic  to relate what
>> aspect is changing    (01)

I really like the manner in which this is outlined, thus I can't help
repeating my mapping to what's going on re. Web-scale Linked Data. This
material is unbelievably helpful when seeking alternative narratives and
anecdotes for explaining and deconstructing the Linked Data meme.    (02)

What follows is just a repeat of the mapping that concluded, with
agreement, in an earlier thread involving Ed, yourself, and I.
> I agree that it's important to distinguish which of the three points
> of the triangle is changing in any particular case.  To use Peirce's
> terms:
>
>    1. Sign:  the observable mark (in computer terms, some string).    (03)

URI -- an identifier which is the case of the Linked Data meme has to be
de-referencable .    (04)

>    2. Interpretant:  How that mark is interpreted.  This could be
>       called the concept, but as Peirce emphasized the interpretant
>       of a sign is always another sign.    (05)

Structured content (in the form of an EAV/SPO graph) exposed by a
document URI/URL that's associated with the denotative Sign URI by way
of implicit (when using hashes) or explicit (when using 303 redirects)
indirection. Thus, re. Linked Data, a de-referencable URI resolves to
actual content (collection of triples) via indirection which brings two
denotative URIs into play.

>    3. Referent:  What the sign refers to.    (06)

What the triples describe via entity=value pairs that coalesce around
the denotative Sign URI.

> By the way, the three vertices of the meaning triangle were noted
> by Aristotle and developed in detail by the medieval Scholastics.
> They had two sets of terms for the three vertices, which are
> still used today:
>
>      signum, significatio, suppositio (sign, signification, supposition)
>
>      signum, conceptus, objectus (sign, concept, object).
>
> Peirce elaborated this triad in great detail.  Ogden & Richards deserve
> a citation for actually drawing the triangle, but one of Ogden's mentors
> was Lady Victoria Welby, who had carried on a lengthy correspondence
> with Peirce.
>
> I'm sure that she was responsible for emphasizing the three points --
> especially since O & R included some of Peirce's letters to Lady Welby
> in the appendix of their book.
>
> By the way, Wittgenstein didn't have a high regard for O & R's book.
> He told Frank Ramsey that the appendix by Peirce was the best part.    (07)

Great stuff as per usual .    (08)

Kingsley

> John

--     (010)