[ontolog-forum] The class of the planet Venus

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: cassidy@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 18:25:05 -0400
Wandering far off topic, ergo changing the topic from 'Truth':    (01)

A comment on the comment of Doug F.:
>> However, one would stretch to come up with what
>"an instance of the
>> planet Venus" would be.    (02)

This touches on an ontological issue that concerns me for several reasons:
possible worlds.    (03)

Consider the planet Venus in each of the Sci-Fi novels in which the planet is
described - it can have different properties, therefore is in fact a different
individual.
Likewise if we live in a multiverse that forks for each collapse of an
entangled quantum system (lots of 'em!).    (04)

So one can have 'ThePlanetVenusInAnyPossibleWorld' as a class.  If each
ontology is restricted to one possible world, then Venus would be an individual
in that world (I think) but in general ... ?    (05)

How does Cyc represent such a class?    (06)

Pat    (07)

Patrick Cassidy
cassidy@xxxxxxxxx
908-561-3416    (08)