Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology design patterns, roles, top and foundationa

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, juandenavas@xxxxxxxxx
From: Mari Carmen Suárez de Figueroa Baonza <mcsuarez@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 16:43:45 +0200
Hi Juan,

    you can find some responses in-line.

El 21/06/2012 16:19, Juan de Nadie escribió:
Hi.

I'm a novice in the practice of ontology engineering, and recently I found some challenges in my projects. I think that this forum could help me to answer some questions that have raised recently.

1-There are some book (or other media) that deal with the subject of ontology design patterns, in a compreensive way?
You can take a look to:

    - the Ontology Design Pattern portal: http://ontologydesignpatterns.org/wiki/Main_Page
    - the chapter "Ontology Design Patterns" at the Handbook on Ontologies (Second Edition): http://hem.hj.se/~blev/HandbookChapter_ODPs.pdf
    - the chapter about ontology design patterns "Pattern-Based Ontology Design" at the Ontology Engineering in a Networked World (book published by Springer) (http://www.springer.com/computer/ai/book/978-3-642-24793-4)

2-What is the status of the modeling of roles (for instance: teacher, student, engineer, as roles of Person) in the state of the art in the ontology engineering?
There are different ways in which you can model roles, depending on the details you need to represent.
At the ODP portal you can find a pattern with one of the possibilities.

3-In some of my incursions in the field I have encountered some so-called top ontologies, and foundations ontologies. But, I'm not sure about the competence of this kinds of ontologies.
--Top ontologies and foundational ontologies are the same type of ontology with different names?
In some sense top-level ontologies and foundational ontologies can be considered to be more or less the same.
--There is some reference that discusses and/or compares different top/foundational ontologies? I know tha some of this ontologies are: DOLCE, SUMO, GFO, UFO, etc. I used the UFO in some recent projects. There are others?
You can find a technical report comparing some upper ontologies at "http://www.disi.unige.it/person/MascardiV/Download/DISI-TR-06-21.pdf"
--In my brief practice in the field, seems to me that using some of this top/foundational ontologies, we commit with some ontological notions that have implications in the design of domain ontologies. For instance, in UFO, there is a clear design pattern to model Roles. I am correct about this? The others top/foundational ontologies embody the same implications in the design of domain ontologies?

Best regards.
I hope this help you.
Best Regards,

        Mari Carmen Suárez-Figueroa.
_________________________________________________________________ Message Archives: http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-forum/ Config Subscr: http://ontolog.cim3.net/mailman/listinfo/ontolog-forum/ Unsubscribe: mailto:ontolog-forum-leave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Shared Files: http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/ Community Wiki: http://ontolog.cim3.net/wiki/ To join: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nid1J

 Dr. Mari Carmen Suárez-Figueroa
 Assistant Professor

 Ontology Engineering Group (OEG)

 Departamento de Inteligencia Artificial