Re: [ontolog-forum] Neo4J for Ontology

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 13:17:47 -0400
On 4/23/12 12:43 PM, Ed Barkmeyer wrote:
> Len Yabloko wrote:
>
>> I am sure you are aware of a deeper issue that make SQL and Graph DB
>fundamentally
>> different, that is complete axiomatization of SQL as well as referential
>integrity
>> Reasoning is the ultimate application for both, with query being only one
>form of it.
> In the last 20 years, it seems to have become a requirement for somebody
> to "completely axiomatize" every computational modeling language, so as
> not to be left behind in the claims of "formal grounding".  Java is also
> formally grounded. So what?
>
> What graph DBs and relational DBs have in common is their ability to
> assist in retrieving information for decision purposes.  As Len
> suggests, the great advantage of RDBs (and SQL compliance) is that they
> regularize the process of information creation and information update,
> thus guaranteeing consistency and reliability of most retrievals.  The
> great advantage of graph DBs is flexiblity -- the information in them
> can grow rapidly and somewhat unpredictably -- but the consequence is
> that it is very difficult to prune outdated information and to prevent
> the addition of incomplete and inconsistent information that may confuse
> critical applications.  (I think this is John's point, expressed from a
> different viewpoint.)
>
> Both of these technologies are useful for big databases.  What should
> decide the choice of technology is what you want to do with the data.
> There is also a lot of practical business reasoning that now uses a
> hybrid database support.  The original operational data is maintained in
> the RDBs, and supports business operations effectively and reliably.
> Parts of that data are converted regularly or ad hoc to graph DB forms
> to support other associative queries and queries that require inferences.
>
> It takes a certain amount of enlightenment to see the value in the new
> screwdriver alongside your tried-and-true hammer, and to realize at the
> same time that the guy who tells you his new screwdriver will completely
> replace hammers is a nitwit. The IT industry as a whole seems to have a
> really hard time seeing technologies as incremental and complementary
> rather than revolutionary.
>
> -Ed
>    (01)

Thanks Ed!    (02)

I remain eternally uncomfortable when folks speak about (Relational
Property ) Graphs in a manner that infers them being alien to Relational
(Tables) Databases.    (03)

Co-Relational [1] remains the invisible middle through which new
monikers and buzzwords wonder by, unnoticed :-(    (04)

All:    (05)

Anyway, a few months ago I promised the release of a simple HTML5 DBMS
explorer [2] that showcases 'Intensional' and 'Extensional' data
exploration using an RDBMS that includes support for URIs as super keys
with varying de-reference scope.    (06)

Simple System Guide:    (07)

1. Green Links -- derived from Primary Keys and Foreign Keys so that
de-reference resolves to description graphs culled from unions across
related records    (08)

2. Blue Links -- same as the above, but with the added benefit of being
usable outside the app. i.e., you can cut and paste the URI into an
browsers address bar    (09)

3. 'References' tab -- which shows the effects of declaring R2RML views
over the extensional data definitions in the SQL RDBMS data dictionary
en route to exposing Blue link variants of Green links.    (010)

Live Demo Links:    (011)

1. http://goo.gl/VpT2k -- XMLA Explorer Green Links showing internal
Keys (via Reference values) navigating Extensional RDBMS data    (012)

2. http://goo.gl/ZJ8DA -- Ditto using Blue Links based on R2RML views
over Extensional RDBMS data    (013)

3. http://demo.openlinksw.com/schemas/Northwind/Customers -- click on
this link; also copy and paste to address bar    (014)

4. http://demo.openlinksw.com/Northwind/customers/CustomerID/ALFKI#this
-- this link is produced from the step above when you click on
http://demo.openlinksw.com/schemas/Northwind/Customers ; you can also
copy and paste to a browser address bar in another tab or browser instance    (015)

5. http://goo.gl/1HqUi -- results of a standard SQL query    (016)

6. http://goo.gl/qzgfJ -- Federated SPARQL (SPARQL-FED) from within
XMLA-ODBC based SQL session against DBpedia    (017)

7. http://goo.gl/sOhBI -- Andrew Jackson Description snippet from DBpedia    (018)

8. http://goo.gl/wiRP5 -- SPARQL-FED against Nature.com (which is
basically just another Table/DataSpace on the Web DBMS)    (019)

9. http://uriburner.com/c/86SSK -- SPARQ-FED Lagainst Data.Gov.UK
(Education); note I am using our own URL shortener as Google's can't
handle this length of URL    (020)

10. http://uriburner.com/c/86SSL -- ditto against Health.Data.Gov    (021)

11. http://uriburner.com/c/IIAKGH -- Data.Gov.UK (Transport)    (022)

12. http://uriburner.com/c/86SSM -- Data.Gov.UK (Legislation)    (023)

13. http://uriburner.com/c/IIAKHD -- Open University .    (024)

Links:    (025)

1. http://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=1961297 -- A co-Relational Model
of Data for Large Shared Data Banks
2. http://demo.openlinksw.com/XMLAexplorer/XMLAexplorer.html -- XMLA
based Relational Tables & Property Graph Explorer .    (026)

--     (027)

Regards,    (028)

Kingsley Idehen
Founder&  CEO