Re: [ontolog-forum] What goes into a Lexicon?

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 02:02:34 -0500
John Sowa wrote:
> ...    (01)

> When we want to talk about ontology independently of any particular
> implementation, I suggest that we use the following terminology:    (02)

>   1. A class is a set whose membership is specified by a monadic
>      predicate that designates a property shared by every member
>      of the set.    (03)

I would resist defining a class as a "set" (a word which has hundreds
of meanings, but i take to mean a mathematical set).  A mathematical
set is constant and defined by its members -- which never change.  Two
distinct sets can not have exactly the same members.  A class (in
computational ontology), on the other hand, having its membership
defined by a property, can have its membership change over time (in
a 3D+1 world model).  Even a 4D model, should allow for hypotheticals,
in which case the membership of the class can be different for the
different hypotheses.    (04)

Other than this, i agree with John Sowa.    (05)

-- doug foxvog    (06)