Re: [ontolog-forum] glossary of IBM's computer terms

To: <rwheeler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Godfrey Rust" <godfrey.rust@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 00:52:27 -0000
Thanks for posting this Ron, it's delightful. Not sure that it's entirely an ontologist's nightmare, as it's mostly a set of clearly defined and exemplified terms which are better source material than ontologists often get to work with. Nor would I say it's especially bizarre. Any established enterprise or domain of interest has complex cultural 'spins', including double-meaning and irony, in its real use of terminology; it's just that these are not often documented in any orderly way. An ontological challenge that exemplifies how complex knowledge representation is. I'm not sure why anyone would want to formalise all of it, though, except as an exercise in semantic masochism :-)

And some pleasing jokes. We particularly liked  artificial intelligence n. The opposite of natural silliness.

Godfrey