Re: [ontolog-forum] N-RELATIONs: Formal Ontology, Semantic Web and Smart

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 13:16:57 -0500
On 11/12/11 9:10 AM, John F. Sowa wrote:
> [...]
> also have links but no *ML language around those links.
>
>> Syntax agnostic Linked Data is the way forward. Which is why it's
>> wrong to conflate Linked Data (a concept) and RDF (syntax).
>> Hopefully, the W3C will come to understand this critical fact.
>>
>> Links:
>>
>> 1. http://goo.gl/y7Gq4 -- What Facebook Can Teach Us about
>>     Bootstrapping Linked Data at InterWeb Scales
>> 2. http://goo.gl/tyqyM -- note about distributed data objects
>> 3. http://goo.gl/Ez3CC -- note about data objects
> Thanks for the pointers.
>
> I was enthusiastic about the plans for the Semantic Web to associate
> explicit semantic information with the links.  I said that in notes
> I sent to email lists in the late 1990s.  But there were serious
> flaws in the design choices adopted for the Semantic Web:
>
>    1. Semantic information about a link and its content would need
>       to be represented in the same *ML notation as the link itself.
>
>    2. But the language(s) used to process the content and to define
>       its syntax, semantics, and pragmatics should be based on the
>       "best practices" that had evolved during the previous half
>       century of computer science and practice.  None of those tools
>       used the *ML languages.
>
>    3. The primary convention for languages embedded in web pages was
>       to enclose them in<script>  tags.  That convention worked very
>       well for JavaScript and for newer languages such as PHP.
>
>    4. The XML idea of stating a schema in XML notation was useful
>       for many purposes directly related to processing XML. But the
>       content processed by a knowledge representation language is
>       *knowledge* about some subject, which is very rarely XML.
>
> RDFa is an important correction to these design flaws.  It adds
> typing information about the links in a triple.  It explicitly
> associates the information with the document or segment of a
> document in which the links are embedded.  And it decouples
> the linking tag from any requirement to use a *ML language
> for processing the links.
>
> JSON was an obvious choice for the web companies because it is a
> subset of the most widely used language for processing web pages:
> JavaScript.  JSON is basically LISP with curly braces, and many
> kn. rep. languages have used LISP notation for over half a century.
>
> JSON also solves another major design flaw of RDF:  the limitation
> to triples.  It's possible to represent an arbitrary SQL row, table,
> or even an entire RDB in JSON notation.  And there is no need to
> use any reification or other transformations.
>
> And by the way, when I mentioned successful web companies that
> don't use RDF, I forgot to mention Amazon.com, which uses RDBs
> for their own data.  They support XML for vendors to transmit
> information to and from Amazon.  But they don't use RDF.
>
> Unfortunately, Amazon doesn't (yet) support JSON.  But various
> people have provided tools to transform Amazon's XML to JSON.    (01)

John,    (02)

The great thing about this snapshot in time re. evolution of the Web is
that almost everyone is now publishing structured data where
entity-attribute-value patterns are easily discernible, esp. when it
comes to JSON. Thus, we've still ended up with a FOL based conceptual
schema and a variety of syntaxes for data representation using directed
graphs. Who would have thought it would have self corrected in this
manner :-)    (03)

BTW - we provide technology for producing Linked Data from Amazon, eBay,
Google+, LinkedIn and 70+ others. In addition to that we lookup and join
the graphs we produce with what exists in the Linked Open Data cloud.
The whole system works virtuously out of sight as we continue our quest
to construct a global DataDNS and DataGPS mesh, via Linked Data.    (04)

Links:    (05)

1. http://uriburner.com -- example of one of our services that produces
Linked Data from vast collection of Web 2.0 services (that includes
Amazon and many others) .    (06)

2. http://ode.openlinksw.com -- a browser extension for IE, Safari,
Chrome, Firefox, Opera that adds a "view data behind" pattern to the
existing "view markup behind" pattern implemented by all browsers; thus
you can flip from HTML to a high-fidelity structured data page with
pathways to wherever on the Web via follow-your-nose patterns executed
by human click-on-link actions or via SPARQL .    (07)

3. http://goo.gl/qguEs -- an example of HTML document that describes a
Book from Amazon .    (08)

4. http://goo.gl/xu2fi -- shows all objects of type: Book, from this
particular data space.    (09)