Re: [ontolog-forum] N-RELATIONs: Formal Ontology, Semantic Web and Smart

To: "doug@xxxxxxxxxx" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ed Barkmeyer <edbark@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2011 15:56:49 -0500
It seems Doug and I agree.    (01)

doug foxvog wrote:
> On Wed, November 9, 2011 10:47, John F. Sowa said:

>> EB (Ed Barkmeyer)
>>
>>> In my experience, there are intrinsically ternary and quatenary verb
>>> concepts.
>>>

> There is a distinction between intrinsic arity of verbs and the form
> in which languages express them.
>
> However, I read this discussion not as one about the features of
> languages, but about ontology.  I think your main meaning is that the
> things that verb represent (events and situations) may intrinsically
> have two, three, or four relations that are necessary for sufficiently
> describing them, irrespective of the language (formal or natural) used
> to make statements about these events and situations.
>       (02)

Yes.  My term 'verb concept' was meant as an ontological idea.  I think
of the 'verb concept' as the archetype of a set of situations that have
in common a fundamental behavior involving certain supporting behaviors
of things, where the things themselves are variable.  These supporting
behaviors are what I referred to as 'roles' in the 'verb concept'.  The
arity of the verb concept is the number of roles that are involved in
the common fundamental behavior.  The natural language 'verb' is used to
express that fundamental behavior, and grammatical elements are used to
associate the the things (usually expressed by noun phrases) with the
roles.    (03)

By comparison, the 'arity of the natural language verb' (if we can use
the term), like the 'arity' of a formal language predicate, is a
grammatical notion.    (04)

-Ed    (05)

P.S. I took the term 'verb concept' from the OMG SBVR folk, and I think
the meaning I ascribe to it above is what they meant.
(But they have merged multiple concepts under the term 'role'.)    (06)

> [...]
> but it isn't if the thing given were an action (such as a smile, a
> massage, or the repair of a dent).
>
> A selling event includes a change in user rights to some medium of exchange
> in exchange for some giving event.  Thus the roles of both giving events
> and changing user rights are meaningful.  The buyer of the selling event
> is the giver of the giving of medium of exchange event and the recipient
> of the thing purchased.
>
> [Note that buyer, seller, and even thing purchased slots can be
>  split upon detailed analysis.  We can distinguish various buyer
>  slots when a person makes a corporate purchase.  We can distinguish
>  various seller slots when an employee of a consignment shop sells
>  consigned goods.  Multiple thing purchased slots could distinguish
>  among a ticket, the right to view the play, and the experience of
>  viewing the play.  And wouldn't the credit card, the credit card slip,
>  and the bank transfer all have different medium of exchange slots?]
>

>> EB
>>
>>> My point is that we must first distinguish between n-ary database
>>> relations, which may represent compound statements or relations with
>>> adverbial modifiers, and conceptually n-ary relations.
>>>

> Agreed.  In a given database line, there may be multiple binary relations
> expressed between various column fillers, while other groups of column
> fillers must be grouped because they each provide information about
> some other thing (an event, account, ...) which bears a relation to
> the focal thing represented in the column.  For example, a single
> database line might have a set of columns about the purchaser in
> a sale, another set about the shipper, a set about the place for
> delivery, a set about the item(s) purchased and shipped, and another
> set about the state of the shipment at various points in time.
>
> Such groupings determine what could be expressed with n-ary relations,
> but, so long as the ancillary objects are reified, do not require that
> n-ary relations be used.
>
> Intrinsically n-ary relations would include ordering and betweenness
> relations as well as ones in which one argument restricts another,
> for instance by amount
>    (totalReserves COUNTRY PRODUCT-TYPE AMOUNT)
> or some other modifier
>    (appropriateAttireForRolePlayerInType ATTIRE SITUATION-TYPE ROLE)
> in which there seems no use in creating a subclass from the modifier
> and the thing modified.
>

>> Yes.  Many relations are constructed by joining two or more
>> relations with fewer arguments.  ...
>>

>> ...  There are often very good reasons for defining "views" that
>> add arguments by joins or delete arguments by projections.
>>

>> John

> doug foxvog    doug@xxxxxxxxxx   http://ProgressiveAustin.org
>
> "I speak as an American to the leaders of my own nation. The great
> initiative in this war is ours. The initiative to stop it must be ours."

Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8263                Cel: +1 240-672-5800    (08)

 and have not been reviewed by any Government authority."    (09)