Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontologies vs Theories / Axioms vs Rules

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 19:31:21 +0100
Reposting this last post at Peter's request:

On 19 Oct 2011, at 17:07, Ali SH wrote:

Hi Bijan,

[AH] Allow me to attempt re-phrasing what's been said. In contrast to a paradigm for ontologies like Cyc, whereby one tries to model the domain as faithfully and completely in one formalism and then delegates reasoning tasks based on the analysis of this expressive representation;

[BP] Is that how Cyc works? That's not my understanding, but whatever :)

I over simplified and in fact cringed after reading the sent email. What I meant to contrast is that in many ways Cyc is an example of a paradigm which represents the domain in an expressive language and then finds the appropriate subsets that match decidable logics for reasoning. At least, that's my understanding. It uses a variety of reasoners.

Sure. Approximation is a reasonable approach.

[BP] The problem with super expressive logics such as Common Logic is, roughly, the tool support sucks and probably sucks for the forseeable future.

I would hope that with the current work under way by the Bremen group (HeTS) and the Toronto group (COLORE), a CL ontology could be factored into more tractable fragments.

If so, then it probably doesn't need the extra expressivity. In expressive logics, size is less important than complexity. Euclid's Theorems don't make for a *large* KB, but good luck writing a reasoner that can return the rest of the Elements :)

Of course, not to mention a number of CL reasoners currently under development

Such as? First order theorem proving is pretty hard and existing ones are pretty good. None that I know of are targeting CL per se or ontologies, really.

and the environment being developed by CameronRoss. Needless to say, I'm more optimistic about utilizing more expressive languages.

As I work on adding expressivity to OWL, I am too. I'm much less sanguine on having a FOL reasoner that is robust to wide rangingly complex input. Show me something that can handle an appreciable fraction of Ernie Davis' Commonsense Reasoning textbook and I'll be impressed.

If you are "using" FOL but really using a hugely restricted subset + a radically incomplete reasoner, then, well, I'd argue you shouldn't be too excited about the fact that you're "using" FOL.