Re: [ontolog-forum] JAO in Scopus & ISI?

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Simon Spero <ses@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 11:32:41 -0400

If it's indexed by ISI, it's indexed by SCOPUS. One could take the stance that this is because ISI is more selective, or one could note that SCOPUS has to try harder.

Both have quirks, and WoS is more widely available, but my scientometrics friends prefer to use SCOPUS when ISI isn't needed for comparability.

One hypothesis that some of us came up with was that, in terms getting citations, what really matters is position in ranked results in Google Scholar  for the most obvious initial query. This was first hypothesized by an office-mate who could not think of any other reason why a really bad paper that she was 2nd author on was getting so many hits, until she noted that the title would be an exact match for a common search.

There was some talk of starting an academic SEO company ("pimp my h-"), which would aim to opimize salami levels, force co-cites to bring h up,  intentionally  self-obliterate older articles to avoid rubble bouncing where  cites in excess of the target h ought to be going to  bring lesser cited papers up to the h count, etc.

Then, of course, there was the deluxe "Tenumatic 3000", which would scan for cites, and email monthly summaries (optionally comparing to peer group).
Because assistant professors are where the real money is...

Our plans to double optimize for a second metric, then publish a slew of papers documenting problems on gaming of the first set, and showing how the new metric protected against them was considered a bit too un-sporting.

Simon // Ontlog relevance? Um... check the example authors used for the google scholar advanced search page...