Re: [ontolog-forum] Need advice - Request a quick opinion on ontologylan

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 11:41:50 -0700
Merci Cory and everyone else who contributed back.  This has given us a lot of think about.

Duane

On 5/27/11 11:58 AM, "Cory Casanave" <cory-c@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Duane,
We suffer this question also.  What we are doing now is modeling most of what we need in UML with a combination of standard and proprietary profiles.  Note that we are using UML in an ontological fashion, not to model the software as many people do. We do this so we have an environment to bring together domain information, processes, services and collaborations.  From this we can generate lightweight ontologies (about the level you can do with OWL) in a variety of logical languages - mostly OWL since we can get implementations and some name recognition.  Of course we can also provision out software to implement the architectures using MDA.  We find the tools (we use magicdraw) very mature and the models something non-technical stakeholders can deal with.  You can, of course, then add axioms in your language of choice if you want stronger ontological reasoning support.

That said, I am by no means suggesting that this is the ideal environment - but one that works for us and our customers with smart people who know how to "bend" UML in this way.  It is a tradeoff of expressability, scope and acceptability.  I don't think the right environment exists yet, at least not in any production software.  This is the reason we have been pursuing the "architecture ecosystem" (http://www.omgwiki.org/architecture-ecosystem/doku.php) and SIMF we have referenced previously.

My bias is that we have to capture the semantics of the domain in as technology neutral and user friendly way as possible. Everything you mentioned (as well as OWL) is optimized for other purposes, generally supporting a reasoner.  If I were to pick one I would probably pick CL, but then have to augment it with a lot of ontologies to represent the architectural perspectives as well as provide the tooling for modeling in a user friendly way as well as the backend reasoning and provisioning support - that is a lot to put together, something I hope we (the global we) can do at some point.

-Cory