Re: [ontolog-forum] Deep Knowledge Representation Challenge Workshop - C

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: John Bottoms <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 12:51:29 -0400
Vinay.    (01)

Generally we like to work on sentences that embody complete statements
or concepts. (See J.L. Austin on sentences versus statements.) Some of
your suggested sentences contain referential terms and that generally
means we have to suspend parsing until further information is available.    (02)

One example I was looking at is:
270. "Downstream on the mRNA is the initiation codon, AUG, which signals
the start of translation." (Chp 17.)    (03)

In effect "Downstream" is referential and we don't have a direction
without prior knowledge. That knowledge may be existent, static and
entailed, but referential knowledge may also be dynamically available.
Either way, it helps to have a complete statement before attempting to
convert the statement to some KR format.    (04)

-John Bottoms
  FirstStar Systems
  Concord, MA USA    (05)