Re: [ontolog-forum] Hello World

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ontolog-forum-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Todd J Schneider <todd.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 20:14:08 -0400
David,    (01)

Welcome to the fun, confusion, enlightenment, ....    (02)

Todd    (03)

From:
David Collins <collidavid@xxxxxxxxx>
To:
ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date:
03/15/2011 06:46 PM
Subject:
[ontolog-forum] Hello World
Sent by:
ontolog-forum-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx    (04)

Hello, world,    (05)

This is a note to introduce myself to the forum. I am a journalist and
programmer located in the United States.     (06)

My midlife entry into radio journalism, freelance writing, investigative
journalism and daily news reporting led to my development of Web
programming skills, which in turn led to a broad interest into computer
science, especially in the context of mass communication. I found this
forum while surveying Web activity related to a site I recently registered
-- modeleverything.com     (07)

Upon registering the site to support research related to my broad interest
in practical and popular applications for scientific modeling, I found
myself daunted by the task of writing even introductory prose for a site
that explores such a broad and improbable concept. Faced with such a
daunting task, I continued my research, compiling loosely assembled notes
wiki style at modeleverything.com.    (08)

I'm generally interested in interoperability of models from various
domains, popular applications of domain-specific models, and the broad
categories of agent-based modeling, complexity theory, neural networks
and... of course... ontology. I'm particularly interested in
epistemological aspects of scientific modeling and especially with regard
to the impact of scientific modeling on popular belief systems.    (09)

The site where I maintain my growing collection of links and definitions
runs on a content-management system I developed while working in a
state-capital newsroom. I used the system in the newsroom to log my notes,
to provide collaborative work environment with granular access and to
serve as a front-end for other data-management scripts. Compared to the
work of my peers in the world of computer science, my modest effort to
develop a content-management system development is rough and incomplete,
but the ModX-like system is particularly well suited for my approach to
organizing the results of exploratory investigations.     (010)

As to that introductory prose for ModelEverything.com I so far have found
too daunting to write, I know it must say one thing -- I can't and we
can't model everything -- not on a wiki, not even a HubZero-powered wiki,
and not in the world's best funded, collaborative, extended laboratory
networks. From a practical perspective then, the question I pose with the
URL ModelEverything.com instead asks what benefit might we realize by
expanding our models and ontologies before the effort required to
represent greater scope or detail exceeds any practical benefit.    (011)

In particular, the search string that led me to the ontolog forum was
ontology+of+everything. And here I find discussion related to the gap
between the desire for and the realization of a universal ontology. That's
why I'm here. I'm certain that reading these forums will leave me better
prepared to write news, reviews and reference material about scientific
modeling for both a popular and a professional readership.    (012)

David Collins    (013)

http://modeleverything.com