Re: [ontolog-forum] Using controlled natural languages for ontology

To: "'Godfrey Rust'" <godfrey.rust@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 10:34:58 -0800

John, Simon, Ed, Godfrey et al,

Putting together all your comments, I conclude the following:

The knowledge that gets represented in 90% of the KE/DE projects covers about one hour of the domain expert's knowledge and one hour of the knowledge engineer's modeling skills, though the two are still askew until another hour of debate and explanation, during which each expert educates the other about the most basic items of knowledge which represents the least common denominator of each expert's wisdom.

If you give some thought to the precise phrasing I used, the point may get across that the two "experts" are paid three hours to record just one hour of knowledge as ROI for the time spent.  A less well paid nonexpert can then work three times as long to get one hour's work done after s/he studies the recorded hour of knowledge for a few hours.

That doesn't sound like a successful project to me.  I would just let the nonexpert work without the extra knowledge indoctrination, at which point s/he produces one hour's work per hour of pay if the same principles of analysis hold for these two paragraphs.

So the ROI doesn't justify it.  Its not simply that it doesn't meet some arcane metric of goodness for ontologies, or knowledge, or slickness of presentation, or rigidity of logical premises; it simply doesn't pay off.

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper

EnglishLogicKernel.com