Re: [ontolog-forum] ANN: http://www.productontology.org - more than 300,

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Martin Hepp <martin.hepp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 20:22:28 +0100
Hi Kingsley,    (01)

On Mar 1, 2011, at 7:19 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:    (02)

> Martin,
>
> Is there a dump of the entire dataset anywhere?
>
> LOD instance (meaning LOC too) has just been reconstructed, so now it the
>time to get this loaded.
>
> http://www.productontology.org/dump.rdf isn't the entire dump.    (03)

See http://www.productontology.org/#faq4 :    (04)

"How can I fetch a dump file holding all 300,000 class definitions?    (05)

The dump file at    (06)

        http://www.productontology.org/dump.rdf    (07)

contains only those classes that have already been requested from their
individual URI at least once, e.g. "Apple" is included only if someone has ever
requested the following resource:    (08)

        http://www.productontology.org/id/Apple    (09)

This is necessary because there is no guaranteed way to predict which of the
ca. 3.5 million Wikipedia entries make up useful and needed class definitions.
We know from our research (Hepp/Siorpaes/Bachlechner, 2007) that between 8.73 %
and 19.77 % of the Wikipedia entries make up for useful product classes and you
can request a class definition for any Wikipedia lemma that you need to
describe your objects, but such cannot be derived automatically from the
Wikipedia content. Also, we do not know which classes will be needed and which
others are not.    (010)

Eventually, we will add filtering techniques so that the dump will only include
classes that pass a certain popularity test in RDF datasets."    (011)

and http://www.productontology.org/#faq6 ;-)    (012)

Martin    (013)