Re: [ontolog-forum] GOFO vs alarmism and defaitism (again)

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: FERENC KOVACS <f.kovacs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 15:36:56 +0000 (GMT)
Also In connection with the thread Re: [ontolog-forum] IBM Watson on Jeopardy    (01)

Pierre,    (02)

PG: These are conceptualisations. It is a useful, if nothing else,assumption
that these conceptualisations are directed towards a common reality. There is
useful, if nothing else, sense of ontology whereby ontology is not  conceptual
modelling. Moreover, so goes the disposition, conceptual modelling  can
interestingly benefit from ontology in its `absolute', truth-mongering  thrust.
After all, these conceptualisations exist, and Good Old Fashion  Ontology has
room for them as well, absolutely...    (03)

FK: It should also occur that there is a flaw in the conceptualisations that
drive you off the track. For instance one of the authors of SUMO Nicola Guarino
in a pps lecture Formal Ontology andKnowledge Representation
http://www.loa-cnr.it/Files/1-FocusingOnContent.pdf
On slide Prof Guarino 22 says this:
Intension ed extension
• Intension (concept): part of meaning corresponding to general principles,
rules to be used to determine reference (typically, abstractions from
experience)
• Extension (object): part of meaning corresponding to the effective reference
• Only by means of the concept associated to the sign “cat” we can
correctly
interpret this sign in various situations
• The signʼs referent is the result of this interpretation
• Such interpretation is a situated intentional act.
ON Slide 28: Concepts, properties, and relations:terminology issues
• Non-relational concepts are often called properties
• Relational concepts are often called relations
• ...but properties and relations can be understood as intensional or
extensional... Concepts are always intensional!!
• We also assume that properties are always intensional.
• To stress the difference between intensional and extensional relations, we
shall call the former conceptual relations    (04)

I am not going to include my criticism, so just check out for yourselves    (05)

Regards,
Ferenc    (06)

Attention is the weakest, but a minimum form of connecting    (07)