Re: [ontolog-forum] presentism and fluent search performance

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 12:34:58 -0800

Hi Pavithra, (John, Pat, Ian, et al)

Your post has some interesting musings.

Suppose there are two such System backups, S(t=T0) and S(t=T1), each complete with copies of the exe and the history of inputs and outputs.  I describe the details of this supposition below where I further define the two snapshots T0 and T1.  We still need to access some snapshot T, called S(t=T) for any T in [t0..t1].

Since time t is monotonically increasing in both 3D+1 and 4D, the system S(t=T) can interpolate to any t between t0 and t1 in M*Log(N) real time and resources.  Just use a binary search for t in [t0,t1] by starting with the appropriate { T[high], T[mid], T[low], T[t] } and propagating constraints to navigate within the

System graphs { G(T0), G(t), G(T1) } to recursively produce still another snapshot of interpolating snapshots.

Each snapshot can be either stored, if future reuse is expected, or recalculated when future use actually does occur.  The point is that retrieving an arbitrary system S(t=T) can be retrieved faster than real time with enough substructuring and planning.

Jon Awbrey’s old topic re simulating faster than real time: the 3D+1 view can be converted to a 4D view more efficiently than the 4D view can be independently constructed.    Use M memories and N processes.  Then Resource consumption = M*SizeOf(Snapshot memory) storage plus N*TimeTo(calculate interpolation).

The point is that a 4D representation can be constructed from a 3D+1 presentist system with specifically engineered capability to do so in logarithmic time with linear storage, or in linear time with logarithmic storage.  Navigating between the two tactics can provide an arbitrary limit of time and/or storage within an elastic interval, as I proved in my dissertation.

So with enough time and storage in the [T0, T1] interval, there exist resourceful strategies and tactics that can reconstruct any snapshot Tt in [t0, t1] at least as fast as a real time system can navigate to Tt from T0, T1, or interpolations of arbitrary fineness within them.

JMHO,

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper