[ontolog-forum] presentism

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: FERENC KOVACS <f.kovacs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 11:35:57 +0000 (GMT)
John: No.  The brain constructs 3D models by relating sensory info
from multiple modes.  The view from both eyes is the obvious
example, but vision is also correlated with somatosensory
inputs from all parts of the body.
Ferenc: All I am saying that when we share our mental imagery then we use 2D
representations, whether verbal or graphic. Even when we create pictures in
perspective (seemingly 3D) in paper or on buildings, we use a flat surface,
including our 3D television, etc.
Of course, the informnatio n that we collect comes from various agles, real or
generated synthetically, just like in holography. This does not man that you
can
store real things "in depths" without dificulty. Look at all the big automated
storehouses, they use a surface for storing objects, they would not pub objects
beind each other to make access awkward.
Nevertheless we alway say that we examine th underlying problems, the issues
behind the surface, etc. indicating we cannot imagine another arrangment but
gong further ahead and knocking on the walls.
Ferenc     (01)