Re: [ontolog-forum] presentism, etc

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2011 22:32:31 -0500
On 2/7/2011 4:51 PM, FERENC KOVACS wrote:
> the fact that we always visualise in 2D    (01)

No.  The brain constructs 3D models by relating sensory info
from multiple modes.  The view from both eyes is the obvious
example, but vision is also correlated with somatosensory
inputs from all parts of the body.    (02)

Although we can only see one side of an object, the unseen parts
of familiar objects (or kinds of objects) are reconstructed from
previous memories.    (03)

There is also a huge literature on mental imagery, including
studies of the ability to rotate 3D mental images.  Stephen Kosslyn
and his students and colleagues have been especially prolific:    (04)

http://www.wjh.harvard.edu/~kwn/KosslynArticles.html    (05)