Re: [ontolog-forum] Presentism (was Re: Ontology of Rough Sets)

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 02:43:54 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, February 4, 2011 4:52, Chris Partridge said:

> One small clarification.
> I think the reason Markosian (and others) use the term "Descartes in 1625"
> is that it is relatively neutral in respect of its commitments - it does
> not presuppose the so-called 3D view.    (01)

Of course, it does not presuppose the 3D view; it presupposes the 4D view.
The text was purportedly a description of the 3D view, yet it uses a 4D
term and claims that the 3D view has something to state about that 4D term.    (02)

> DF> the 3D statement would be "in 1625 Descartes is the same thing
>> as Descartes."    (03)

> I think it is quite difficult to get a version that does the work
> it needs to.
> In your version, if we assume that both occurrences of the term
> 'Descartes'
> refer to the same thing, then 1625 is superfluous.    (04)

Which is why many 3Ders have a problem understanding the 4D view.
Which is why in the 3D view "the same" spatial-temporal object is
present at any time it exists.    (05)

> This may be because in the original version "... in 1625" was part
> of the name - but not in your version.    (06)

It is part of the name of a 4D time slice of temporal-spatial object.
Such an object is not a 3D object, and as such is not described in 3D
terms.  What 3D considers to be a temporal-spatial object, 4D considers
to be a complete temporal-spatial worm.    (07)

doug foxvog    doug@xxxxxxxxxx   http://ProgressiveAustin.org    (010)