Re: [ontolog-forum] 3D+1 (was presentism...was blah blah blah)

To: ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 03:37:48 -0600
Ian, here's a non-philosophical way to characterize it. Start with an atomic
sentence of the form R(a, b), with no time involved, and suppose that a and b
here are ordinary uncontroversial physical objects, say. Intuitively, they are
3D things. Now add time, t. Where do we put the time parameter? Several answers
can be given.     (01)

1. Attach it to the sentence, meaning that the sentence R(a,b) is true at the
time t.  This gives you a hybrid or context logic where the times are possible
temporal worlds/indices or contexts, to which truth is relativized. But the
sentences being so relativized do not themselves make any reference to time.
Call this 3D.    (02)

2. Attach it to the relation as an extra argument, and call the relation a
'fluent': R(a, b, t) This gives you the classical AI/KR approach which used to
be called the situation calculus, where one quantifies over times in the KR
language itself, but the object terms are still thought of as denoting 3D
rather than 4D entities. Call this 3D+1.    (03)

3. Attach it to the object terms (using a suitable function, written here as an
infix @): R(a@t, b@t) This requires us to make sense of this @ operation, and
it seems natural to say that it means the t-slice of the thing named, which now
has to be re-thought as a 4D entity. So the a, b things have morphed form being
3D (but lasting through time) to being genuinely 4D, and having temporal slices
or parts. Call this 4D.    (04)

For some folk this last step is apparently mind-boggling, although to me it is
puzzling how one can think of something being 3D and also extended in time and
have it *not* be 4D. For yet other people (think OBO), there are apparently two
kinds of thing in the world, one kind (continuants) which must be described
using the 3D+1 style , the other (occurrents) which should be described using
the 4D style. God alone knows why anyone would believe that there are two ways
to exist in time, but there's nowt as queer as folk, as someone's grandmother
used to say.     (05)

What I like about this way of contrasting the options is that it makes it be
simply a matter of syntax - where in the sentence to attach the temporal
parameter - and not one of metaphysics. Syntax is way easier than metaphysics.
It also means that one can see quite clearly how to make the various formal
techniques work together, by allowing the temporal parameter to 'float'. In
fact, with a bit of extra work one can embed almost all the necessary temporal
reasoning into a generalized unification algorithm which extracts temporal
constraints during the unification process. I have all the details somewhere if
you (or anyone else) are interested.     (06)

Pat    (07)

On Jan 27, 2011, at 11:19 AM, Ian Bailey wrote:    (08)

phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (010)