Re: [ontolog-forum] Fw: GPS coordinates in an ontology?

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: David Leal <david.leal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 22:23:32 +0100
Dear Sean,    (01)

I agree with you when you say:
>  It may be worth considering separating out the concept of position from the
>representation of position, to allow for position to be represented using
>multiple co-ordinate systems or geographic regions.    (02)

We must remember that WGS84 does two things - it defines a geometric
space (within which the earth is more or less at rest), and it
defines a coordinate system for identifying points within it.    (03)

TAI (International Atomic Time) is analogous - it defines a temporal
space (defined by a set of clocks at particular positions within the
earths gravitational field), and it identifies instants within it.    (04)

Best regards,
David    (05)

At 20:22 25/10/2010, you wrote:    (06)

>  The problem is not just to record co-ordinates, but to do something with
>them. This means identifying services that can evaluate poistion functions,
>such as computing proximity, comparing regions, converting between
>co-ordinates and place names, or following through the hierarchy of
>administrative districts.
>
>  Also, given that there are a large number of co-ordinate systems actually
>in use (often based on different shapes for the Earth), there
>  will also be a requirement for services to convert between different
>co-ordinate systems.
>
>  It may be worth considering separating out the concept of position from the
>representation of position, to allow for position to be represented using
>multiple co-ordinate systems or geographic regions.
>

>  Sean Barker
>Bristol, UK

David Leal
CAESAR Systems Limited
registered office: 29 Somertrees Avenue, Lee, London SE12 0BS
registered in England no. 2422371
tel:      +44 (0)20 8857 1095
mob:      +44 (0)77 0702 6926
e-mail:   david.leal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx