[ontolog-forum] Geo-spatial ontologies

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Gary Berg-Cross <gbergcross@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 15:13:44 -0400
Since GPS coordinates have been a recent topic on the Forum, I thought
that I'd add another question on Geo-spatial ontologies.  Recently a
group of use in SOCoP (Spatial Ontology Community of Practice) were
awarded an NSF grant with Nancy Wiegand (University of
Wisconsin-Madison) as PI.
Broadly the work aims to create a network of interested geospatial
researchers, practitioners, and developers for the purpose of
creating, experimenting with, and using ontologies in the geospatial
domain. We will conduct in-person workshops and have an on-line
collaborative environment (Perer is providing some CIM3 support as
part of this.)    (01)

As part of this work we'd like to see the OOR with available
geo-spatial ontologies expressed in OWL.  I thought that the Ontolog
community might have its hands on good candidates.  We do have some
simple ones and SWEET to start. Some others that I've heard have been
converted to OWL which people may have or can point to include:    (02)

MILO Mid-Level Ontology,    (03)

GML Geographic Markup Language    (04)

SOUPA geomeasurement from SOUPA Geographical    (05)

ISO Spatial Schema ISO 19107    (06)

ISO Spatial Refernence System ISO 19111    (07)

GeoRSS    (08)

MINDSWAP    (09)

I'm sure that there are others.  Any suggestions appreciated.    (010)

Gary Berg-Cross,Ph.D.
gbergcross@xxxxxxxxx      http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?GaryBergCross
SOCoP Executive Secretary
Knowledge Strategies