Re: [ontolog-forum] OntoNotes and the Omega ontology

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: David Eddy <deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 13:22:38 -0400
John -    (01)

On Sep 25, 2010, at 8:51 AM, John F. Sowa wrote:    (02)

> Omega is a 120,000-node terminological ontology    (03)

It is my observation (with a sliver of supporting facts) that UNL
(unnatural language) is at the opposite end of this scale, probably
under 500 words for a large, mature software application.  My guess
is that a large immature application would likely have more words—and
redundancy, multiple labels/terms for the single concept "social
security number"—since the builders have been sloppy from moving too
fast & lack of solid architectural specifications.    (04)

Did your/Arun's work with the reverse engineering project show that
the actual words used in an application are surprisingly small?    (05)

My assumption is that normal NL statistical practices will not work
well when applied to such a small body of terms.  Is this accurate?
I am by no means a statistician.    (06)

For comparison... your system was 1.5M LoC, right?  By crude
guesstimate my system's front end (CICS) was 450 programs @2000
(guessed) lines each... 900,000 LoC.  That was just the front-end...
not the DBMS (IMS), the back-end (ETC), or whatever reporting there
was.  Total for this system was 4.5M LoC.  [Note to audience: lines
of code (LoC) is a really stupid "measure."]    (07)

The term/word count was 387.    (08)

David Eddy
deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx    (09)

781-455-0949    (010)