Re: [ontolog-forum] PROF Swartz ON DEFINITIONS

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Alex Shkotin <alex.shkotin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 11:00:16 +0400
Chris,

you are right:

- I should be more careful using FOL term abbreviation. It should be "In First order language  to get definition..." or even "In First order language with definition feature to get definition...".

- and we do need theorem of existence and uniqueness.
This is why I have mentioned transitive closure: If we keep in mind that systems we describe are algebraic systems, then in set theory (as you mentioned) we may prove that for that kind of models we do have definition.

- and in FOL we do can only introduce an axiom
R_(x,y)
<-> R(x,y) or there_exists z such_that R_(x,z) and R(z,y)
as representative of our definition.

and anyway may I summarize that definition is more then just axiom;-)
Even context of "definition" may be beyond just language (and logic) - may be we need to keep in mind referent itself or at least class of models (math speaking).

For ex- if an infinite in one direction, properly directed chain  (node -> node ->...) is an existing thing for us then "+", "*" arithmetic operations has recursive definition on it.

Alex