Re: [ontolog-forum] language vs logic - ambiguity and starting withdefin

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: FERENC KOVACS <f.kovacs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 09:24:12 +0000 (GMT)
Alex,
The only person I am citing is Swartz, from his lecture I copied from theri website soem time ago and is available as htlm file on my computert. oif course I can send it to you in full, should it not be availeble on the net any more.His lecture has a lot of morale to realize

As for using merriamwebster, or any other source (there is a lot of literature on it), yes, I could have done that. here are my comments on the entry there

a : a statement expressing the essential nature of something
statement (message) with a predicate (including a verb) including a property
where message is an object composed of another object (such as noun prase) (refering to either something existing or non existing) displaying its properties ("the essential nature") - obviously a referent, not a word (meaning)
b : a statement of the meaning of a word or word group or a sign or symbol <dictionary definitions>
this is an equivalence relation displayed with a word, etc.(headword, entry)  on the left side of the operation symbol with "meaning" (a debated issue) on the right.
c : a product of defining
Very much agreed

Ferenc