Re: [ontolog-forum] Two methods to achieve interoperability

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Christopher Spottiswoode" <cms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 17:07:20 +0200
JS> Conflict resolution is an attempt to get two people to agree to a common remapping of their personal theories.

To add to that nice description, even in application-interoperability as in people-interoperation or collaboration, that's seldom a purely logical affair.

As Haslam, Reicher and Platow remark in their recent book, The New Psychology of Leadership: Identity, Influence and Power (as reviewed in last week's Nature, of 12 August):
Effective leadership "is not about getting people to do things.  It is about getting them to want to do things."
(And the quote applies not only to leadership as dictatorship but equally to the mediation approach to CR.)

Such observations help explain why in "The Mainstream Architecture for Common Knowledge" I emphasize the role of the market to such a degree (For other angles see for example http://TheMainstream.info/Market.html).  The market is where adaptations take place between our often-complex wants and the products or simplifications the market puts forward, despite the usually inevitable semantic dissonance, such as in EDI, in module reuse, in plain sales material or via HCIs.

Christopher