Re: [ontolog-forum] owl2 and cycL/cycML

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 17:16:41 -0500
Or (just to keep the record clear) another option is to simply abandon
this quest to achieve decideability, and work with semi-decideable
complete logics such as classical FOL.  This is of course utterly
foreign to the entire description-logic tradition within which Ian
works, but it is a viable stance to adopt.    (01)

As Ian points out in another message in this thread, this means that
one cannot then undertake to offer users a universal  *guarantee* of
performance when they are wanting to discover what is entailed by
what, or whether  some body of sentences are satisfiable, or subsumed
by another. However, one might take the view that such guarantees are
inherently unlikely to be worth a great deal, given that large
problems are routinely too difficult for actual reasoning engines even
within a decideable logic, and users will have to make do with
pragmatic judgements based on imperfect tests which sometimes fail to
yield results. Think of this as analogous to a 404 error resulting
from a failed hyperlink GET operation, and it seems to me to be in
perfect harmony with the zeitgeist of the Web: a global compromise in
which one accepts the possibility of failure in order to achieve the
simplicity and efficiency gotten by the use of non-guaranteed methods.
In our case, it would mean that all this plethora of multiple
standards and notations (RDFS, OWL, OWL2, RIF, RuleML, WhatNextML...)
could be simply described as being what they in fact are, which is
various subsets of classical FO logic, or of ISO Common Logic. One
parser could handle all of them, all expressed in a single notation,
and the work of re-designing a syntax and a new semantics, and writing
a bundle of close-to-unreadable specification documents would not have
to be re-done every few years.    (02)

But let me not start up this (old) argument in this forum. I only
wanted to put this point of view into the record as one viable option.
It bears the same kind of relationship to discussions about the merits
of OWL vs. RIF, and the problem of how to achieve decideability, that
atheism does to comparative theology. I do not expect it be any more
popular.    (03)

Pat    (04)

On Aug 2, 2010, at 2:05 PM, Ian Horrocks wrote:    (05)

phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (07)