[ontolog-forum] Lattices and FCA

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Uta Priss <u.priss@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 18:23:44 -0400
In various notes, I mentioned the importance of lattices for
ontology and the methods of Formal Concept Analysis (FCA)
for generating lattices automatically.    (01)

As an example of FCA tools for automatically deriving lattices
from Roget's Thesaurus, go to    (02)

     http://www.ketlab.org.uk/roget.html    (03)

Type any word in the box and click "submit".  You'll get a little
lattice of the hypernyms (supertypes) for that word.  The default
example is the word 'explore'.    (04)

An example I found interesting is the lattice for 'happy'.
Roget's Thesaurus has more detail about adjectives than WordNet.    (05)

For papers about FCA and its applications, see    (06)

    http://www.upriss.org.uk/top/research.html    (07)

For a description of how they applied FCA to Roget's Thesaurus
and other lexical resources, see    (08)

    http://www.upriss.org.uk/papers/jucs04.pdf    (09)

The lattices show multiple inheritance paths for whatever data
they are given.  FCA is commonly used to check OWL ontologies for
completeness and consistency.  (In fact, if you have FCA, why
waste your time using OWL?)    (010)

John Sowa    (011)