Re: [ontolog-forum] GoodRelations Ontology: Update + New Features + New

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 09:40:00 -0400
Here is a good example of how an ontology is released.    (01)

* Not vetted by a "Ontology Board".
* Clear statement of upwards compatibility    (02)

It might be an interesting idea to think about how an automated system
would deal with this.    (03)

Take the use case where retail giant "Big Store" has built an ERP where
ontologies are heavily used to define process and relationships.
It probably has several other ontologies in its mix plus its own custom
concepts.    (04)

What metadata would be required to determine where this new version
interfaces with existing relationships?
How would the repository alert the development team that a new version
is one of the base ontologies is available?
What would the repository be able to tell the developer about the new
version?
What would be the process of swapping out the old version and hooking in
the new?    (05)

Ron    (06)