[ontolog-forum] cultural variation in cognitive machinery

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: FERENC KOVACS <f.kovacs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 11:28:29 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,

IMHO, from what these cultural differences matters is the way we appreciate and conceive time. Present is what we experience through our senses and is as long as we chunk it. By shifting our attention to new input, whatever has been perceived becomes past.

Fuuture and past are filled with our imagination and memory the content of which is retrieved and transposed with the input from present for processing.

We have one internal screen and we have another screen that houses our input. As a result of comparison and other mental operations we see anything in present tense as specific, and anything retrieved from the past or projected as future as generic. Therefore whatever we experience has this dual nature, being specific and generic at the same time, which is the same thing as seeing through projection one object at a time (in present) and projecting eperiences of the same (several objects at a time).

Without written culture the process requires a large internal scereen, but when the size became insufficient, writing came to help. PC scereen are an extension to that tool with the possibility of representing internal screen and on line screen at the same location.

Time is defined either as a unit of movement, or from within such a short movement, a transition from present into past, that is an observable movement until the sensory organs fail.

Ferenc